Hand to Hold's Official Blog: Written by Parents for Parents

Amber’s Story

The following post is a personal story submitted by Amber, one of our Preemie Babies 101 readers.

We found out in Feb 10 that we were pregnant with twins after having a miscarriage in Nov and having problems getting pregnant. We used Clomid. May 6 we went for our growth u/s. It was an hour long and alot of pushing on my stomach. That night I didnt feel right and went to be early. 2:15am I woke up to go to the bathroom. When I got up I was very dizzy and felt like I had vertigo. Half way to the bathroom my water broke. I thought I peed my pants. I was only 20 weeks 5 days. Noway my water broke. I started cleaning it up & it gushed again. I started crying & screaming for my husband. This time I knew. I had him call my doctor & she told me I needed to get to labor & delivery immediately. Panic set in. I’m too early!! I’m losing two more babies!!!

When we got there we were rushed into the room and they did the amniotic test to confirm it was my water that broke. I already knew the answer. Then ultrasound came in to see the levels and baby a only had .6 of fluid. Which was very low! Baby B was fine and didn’t rupture. They started an IV. I had an infection which caused the water to break. I immediately felt sooo guilty. I let my babies down. I was admitted to the hospital that morning. I thought I was only going to be there 3 days til the IV was done but the nurse said “O no hunny, your here til these babies come.”

That turned out to be 3 weeks 3 days. I had to lay flat on my back and couldn’t get out of bed. Had to have sponge baths and go to the bathroom in a bed pan. Every 4 hours it was temp checks, heartbeat checks and blood pressure checks. Had one doctor tell me that they wouldn’t even try to save the babies until I was 24 weeks. He tried to talk me into aborting. I would do no such thing. We tried so hard to get pregnant and I would let god take it into his own hands and let nature take its course.

During the morning heartbeat check on Memorial day May 31 the nurses couldn’t find baby As heart beat. She had 2 other nurses come and try and still nothing. He was always a little more difficult with his low fluid levels and he was low in my belly. Then the doctor came in and did a bedside u/s and he couldn’t even find him. He said it could mean that he was in my pelvis already. I wasn’t have any contractions or pressure so it didn’t make sense. I started to panic again. Had to wait an hour for the regular u/s techs to come up and right away up popped 2 babies on the screen. baby B was flying all over and next to her layed my baby boy still as could be. There was no flicker like baby B had. I instantly started crying. The u/s tech lady just said I’m sorry and left. I was 24 weeks 1 day. We had gotten the steroid shots.

We called our families and waited for my doctor. She was going to let nature take its course and try to leave baby B in as long as possible. That night I started bleeding. The next day I started having contractions at 12pm. by 6 pm they were unbearable and I was hooked up to the monitors watching baby b. If her heart rate went past 170 or my blood pressure or temp went up I was told they would take her immediately. 8pm her heart rate spiked and just like that I was whisked away for an emergency c-section.

At 8:52pm June 1st Brielle was born at 24w2d weighing 1lbs 6.6oz 12″ long. Her brother born stillborn was 1lbs 4.2oz 12″ long. He was already decomposing so we couldn’t see him. Brielle spent exactly 3 long months in the NICU coming home Sept 1, 19 days before her due date. During her NICU stay we battled life threatening pneumonia, ROP which she had laser surgery for, her kidneys shut down, she almost had to have PDA ligation but it closed just before she would have went. She came home at 5lbs 7oz. She is on oxygen and an apnea monitor and caffeine. Her brother is our hero. He stayed in for 3 weeks 3 days so she could get her steroid shots and make it to the 24 “viable” week. After being home 8 days Brielle vegaled and stop breathing on us. We had to do CPR and called 911 and we were able to revive her. The EMTs told us after the fact that they didn’t think she was going to come back she was so blue and lifeless. But then her dad put 2 more breaths in her and her eyes twitched and her arms shot straight out!! It was a miracle once again! She stayed in the NICU for 5 more days. After 98 days total in the NICU she is home!!

Afton Mower About Afton Mower

After Mower (UT) lost her firstborn son at 21 weeks.  Her daughter was born a year and a half later at 27 weeks.  The NICU was overwhelming and isolating and it was through those two experiences she was led to found this social hub for parents to find the support they needed. Afton also gave birth to another daughter, born two days overdue after four months of strict bedrest. She believes it is a tender experience to hold a special baby in your arms when his spirit returns to his heavenly home, a miracle to watch tiny babies survive the risks of prematurity and a blessing to hold a healthy full-term baby after months of difficulty and sacrifices.


  1. hi there im so sorry for your loss but im so greatful that u came out safe and so did your daughter, i had twins my self 2 lil girls maya and kiki, they were only 2 weekd early and they weighed 5 oudns a piece i died twice but thank goodness i lived there know 3 and beautiful and healthy im sure that your daughter has aNGELS Includidng baby a god bless off u who has to indure so many scary moments have a great day and yall are in my prayers.

  2. Michelle Yvonne Burns says:

    I am amazed by your story and the gift God has given you in your daughter. Someday you will meet your son again and tell him the miracle of the life that was saved. God has a special plan for your whole family. I ma the mother of a 25 week miracle who came home on May 22 after 123 days sue to an infection in my uterus.

  3. Ashley Willingham says:

    Wow..what an amazing story and roller coaster ride! What a strong mommy you are and Im floored that your baby girl proved that dr wrong! How dare he try to make you have a miscarriage!..What a blessing your baby girl is and she is so beautiful! congrats!

  4. My prays go out to you. I to feel your pain i was pregnant with twins when i delivered i was 27 weeks but when i had woken they said they developed like 23 weeks. baby A a girl 1bls 7 ounces and baby b boy 2bls 2ounces the boy lived for 5 mins and they girl survived… i am to at home with oxygen sap-port and monitors. i found talking had helped me so much. my prays go out to yu and if you ever need to talk send me a msg on the preemie 101 page and im hear for sap port…

  5. Hi,

    I am so sorry for your loss. I was pregnant with triplets. At 23 week2 day, baby a had a prolapse cord and I went into labor. My 2 sons were lost that day (9/28/10). My daughter survived She was born at 15 ounces. Right now, I am in shock and terrible grief. I am very thankful my daughter survived. She has been in the nicu for 47 days. She is doing well. Thank you for sharing your story. Hugs, Daneen

  6. Kayla gallant says:

    hi, I too have lost a twin, my twins were born at 25 weeks and 6 days – October 17th 2010. my litle girl Katie was 1 pd 9.5 ozs my little boy Jakob was 1 pd 11. Jakob died three weeks after being born.my cervix was my problem, it thinned out from 1 cm to 5 in just about 5 days. Katie is now 9 pounds.. and thriving.. shes my only child and a miracle at that. I had to travel through 3 provinces to have my twins. im still dealing with my loss and very thankful i still have katie,,<3

  7. Oh Amber, that story gave me goosebumps. I can’t beleive how well Brielle is doing. I’m so amazed by how you and your husband coped during this time. miracles. truely miracles!

Speak Your Mind