Hand to Hold's Official Blog: Written by Parents for Parents

Angela’s Story: Part 3


Parent Highlight

This is the third of six posts dedicated to sharing one couple’s struggle to have children and then the survival of their preemie twins plus their third preemie baby.  They are currently expecting again and are taking new steps toward achieving a full-term delivery.  This is Angela’s Story.

The testing began. All of the tests came back normal except my progesterone levels. We tried to get pregnant again, but months went by with no success. My doctor finally gave me Clomid to help with the process. That month we were successful.

I was now considered high risk. I was scheduled for an ultrasound at six weeks, and to our shock and amazement, there were two tiny babies there. I was put on progesterone right away and continued to take it through the first trimester. We rented a fetal Doppler so that we could listen to the heartbeats at home. There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t use it. Finally, I began to feel movement. I started to relax a little. Just after 20 weeks, I started having Braxton Hicks contractions every 2-3 minutes. I went into labor and delivery to be monitored. They put me on terbutaline and sent me home with instructions to “take it easy”. The terbutaline helped to slow the contractions some, but it never made them go away. My doctor was not concerned because my cervix was still nice and tight. I continued to have contractions through 33 weeks, when early one morning, I got up to use the bathroom and found that I was leaking amniotic fluid. We went into the hospital, and the whirlwind began. After tests and ultrasounds and more tests, it was decided that my water had definitely broke, and I was having my babies that day. Since I was so early, they elected to send me to the university hospital, where they have an amazing NICU facility. I was strapped onto a stretcher and taken to a helicopter and flown through the snow to the hospital on the hill.

After a very long day, I was finally taken into the operating room to give birth to my babies. Sam was born first and whisked away through the window to the NICU. Rachel, feeling that she had more room, flipped transverse. The doctor had to reach in and pull her out by her feet. She was taken away, and I was stitched up and sent to a room to begin the recovery process. It was several hours before we were allowed to go see our babies, but we were given their birth stats. Sam was 4 pounds 10 ounces and Rachel was 4 pounds 3 ounces. The nurses called them the “giants of the NICU”.

(Please feel free to comment and share your similar experiences for Angela’s benefit, and for the rest of us.  Thank you.)

>>> Continue to Angela’s Story: Part 4 or return to Part 1.

Afton Mower About Afton Mower

After Mower (UT) lost her firstborn son at 21 weeks.  Her daughter was born a year and a half later at 27 weeks.  The NICU was overwhelming and isolating and it was through those two experiences she was led to found this social hub for parents to find the support they needed. Afton also gave birth to another daughter, born two days overdue after four months of strict bedrest. She believes it is a tender experience to hold a special baby in your arms when his spirit returns to his heavenly home, a miracle to watch tiny babies survive the risks of prematurity and a blessing to hold a healthy full-term baby after months of difficulty and sacrifices.

Speak Your Mind