Hand to Hold's Official Blog: Written by Parents for Parents

Interview – Preeclampsia & Gallstones: Part 1

The following three posts share an interview with a woman who struggled with preeclampsia and gallstones during her first pregnancy.

Q.    Tell about any pregnancy complications you experienced and how you dealt with them.
A.     My main complications were gallstones and Preeclampsia.  Some days I’m not sure how I dealt with them cause I was pregnant and my hormones were all over the place.

Q.    Did pregnancy complications lead to preterm delivery?
A.     I was induced the day I hit 37 weeks.  (My OB and the specialist had differing opinions on what my due date really was.  I choose to believe the specialist because the first ultrasound I ever had is the due date he went by and with all the other ultrasounds after the first my babies growth was being restricted by the Preeclampsia and so it wasn’t accurate).  I was induced because the specialist felt that my body was restricting the growth of my child.  In addition my blood pressure kept on rising, my body was retaining a good 40lbs of water weight, and I was getting the headaches connected with pre-eclampsia which are a bad thing and can lead to even worse things.  (some of the nurses in the NICU liked to say she was a “late term preemie” because of the uncertainty of the due dates)

Q.    Tell about your delivery and how far along you were.
A.     I was at 37 weeks. My cervix was quite ripe enough so they inserted celebdebil (not sure on the spelling) and left it in for 12 hours over night.  It started some of the labor pains but didn’t put me into labor.  They wouldn’t give me anything for the pain-not even motrin so it was a long tiring night of no sleep.  When the took out the celebdebil they then started me on Pitosin.  (the whole time I was in there I had to have my blood drawn every 2-4 hours and with my sensitive skin I was starting to look like a druggie with my bruised arms)  In addition-the whole time  I was on a magnesium drip and was catheterized.  On my dr’s lunch time rounds he broke my water and that started moving things along.  Shortly after they gave me an epidural but because they always had me favoring one side while I was laying down it only worked on the one side and they had to add some more a little while later.  I was so tired by the time I started pushing.  I thought I was doing horribly but my husband was a trooper for me.  I know when they call in the Dr that you’re nearing the end but I was feeling so low that I just didn’t realize I was close to the end when he came in.  I was exhausted but when I saw my little girl it was all forgotten. She weighed 4lbs 10 oz and was 17 inches long.  The placenta did not come out even after 20-30 minutes so, even though he had already stitched me up, my doctor had to reach in up to his elbow to get it loose and out.  Oh joy for ripping open fresh stitches.

Ouch!  Can any of you relate to this woman’s story?  Please leave your comments.

Continue to Interview – Preeclampsia & Gallstones:  Part 2

Afton Mower About Afton Mower

After Mower (UT) lost her firstborn son at 21 weeks.  Her daughter was born a year and a half later at 27 weeks.  The NICU was overwhelming and isolating and it was through those two experiences she was led to found this social hub for parents to find the support they needed. Afton also gave birth to another daughter, born two days overdue after four months of strict bedrest. She believes it is a tender experience to hold a special baby in your arms when his spirit returns to his heavenly home, a miracle to watch tiny babies survive the risks of prematurity and a blessing to hold a healthy full-term baby after months of difficulty and sacrifices.

Speak Your Mind