Hand to Hold's Official Blog: Written by Parents for Parents

Our Outrageous Tale! Part 1

In the following three posts I will lay before you the outrageous tale of our journey home from the hospital with our tiny preemie baby. ¬†ūüôā

We arrived early at the hospital on “Discharge Day” so that we could get everything finalized, packed up, and we could get on the road with plenty of daylight left for our trip (daylight hours were few and far between, as it was the middle of winter). ¬†However, it took a good chunk of the morning and early afternoon just to get our portable oxygen equipment ready, and to get our baby’s discharge papers signed by the doctor. ¬†(Since then I’ve learned that any day you plan to check out of the hospital you’ll be lucky to get out before evening, even if you request to be discharged first thing in the morning. ¬†Who knew?)

We were given a battery-charged pulse oximeter which the respiratory therapist said should last us until we got home – about four hours. ¬†So, we paraded out of the hospital with our tiny baby in awe that we were finally being set free – just as the sun started to tip toward the western mountains. ¬†Then, to our great surprise, only 30 minutes into our journey the pulse oximeter battery died! ¬†Naturally, I panicked and wasn’t about to drive the next 3 1/2 hours without knowing if my baby had enough oxygen, so I decided I would sit in the back seat next to the baby to watch her and make sure she didn’t turn blue before we could find a way to charge up the oximeter. ¬†Since we had to stop anyway, I took the time to nurse the baby for awhile so that we could go the rest of the trip without stopping again to feed her. ¬†The bad thing, though, was that it was getting darker and we didn’t have a whole lot of time before I wouldn’t even be able to tell if my baby was turning blue! ¬†We couldn’t just turn around or stop for the night because we had a limited supply of oxygen with us. ¬†We just had to make it home. ¬†So, I stared nervously at the baby for the next hour and a half in the car before we made it to the next city – just as it was getting too dark to see.

>>continue to Our Outrageous Tale! Part 2

Afton Mower About Afton Mower

After Mower (UT) lost her firstborn son at 21 weeks.  Her daughter was born a year and a half later at 27 weeks.  The NICU was overwhelming and isolating and it was through those two experiences she was led to found this social hub for parents to find the support they needed. Afton also gave birth to another daughter, born two days overdue after four months of strict bedrest. She believes it is a tender experience to hold a special baby in your arms when his spirit returns to his heavenly home, a miracle to watch tiny babies survive the risks of prematurity and a blessing to hold a healthy full-term baby after months of difficulty and sacrifices.

Speak Your Mind