Hand to Hold's Official Blog: Written by Parents for Parents

Q&A – Should I Keep This Pregnancy? Part 2

Mom and BabyAt 18 weeks I started the progesterone shots.  At 19 weeks I started to feel contractions.  The doctors did not think I needed to start bedrest yet because the contractions weren’t doing anything, but I was so nervous about the contractions that I prescribed bedrest for myself and stayed off of my feet for the remainder of my pregnancy, only with bathroom privileges.  From 18 weeks on I had cervical lengths measured every two weeks and then towards the end we checked my cervix every week.  I got a few fetal-fibronectin tests as well, and took some nifedipine at one point to slow down contractions, but most important of all, to me, was that I stayed on bedrest.

To my amazement, and the amazement of the doctors, I carried my baby to full term.  I stopped bedrest and the progesterone shots at 37 weeks and didn’t go into labor until two days after my baby’s due date!  It was a miracle and a huge blessing.  It was a difficult pregnancy, mostly because of all that bedrest entails, but everything else was so doable and so worth it.  I am planning to have another baby someday, but I am planning to do everything I did last time because I do not dare risk not doing something that worked.

What I’m trying to say is, there is so much more that you can do to prevent preterm labor and delivery.  There are many options, and many things that I have not tried.  High-risk specialists are just that–specialists in high-risk pregnancies.  They deal with women who are having complications and need special attention and consideration to help themselves and their babies survive the pregnancy.  I recommend going to a high-risk specialist AT LEAST to get their input and their expert opinion on what might be done to prolong your pregnancy as long as possible.  Make an appointment now, get a referral or recommendation from your regular OB on who you might see, (in fact, in many cases you have to be referred by a regular OB in order to see a specialist) and I would even recommend consulting with two or three high-risk specialists because they all do things a little differently, and then make your decision.  Don’t lose hope before you learn everything you can about your options.  Lack of knowledge and exposure is very limiting, but doing your research will open doors to you and help you to feel comfortable with the decision you make.

I wish you the very best and hope you will let me know what you decide after speaking with one or more high-risk specialists.  I pray that you will feel comfortable and at peace with whatever decision you make.

To my readers: do you have any more advice for Susan?  Please share!

Return to Q&A-Should I Keep This Pregnancy? Part 1

Related Posts:  Finding a Good High Risk Specialist

Afton Mower About Afton Mower

After Mower (UT) lost her firstborn son at 21 weeks.  Her daughter was born a year and a half later at 27 weeks.  The NICU was overwhelming and isolating and it was through those two experiences she was led to found this social hub for parents to find the support they needed. Afton also gave birth to another daughter, born two days overdue after four months of strict bedrest. She believes it is a tender experience to hold a special baby in your arms when his spirit returns to his heavenly home, a miracle to watch tiny babies survive the risks of prematurity and a blessing to hold a healthy full-term baby after months of difficulty and sacrifices.

Speak Your Mind

*